Friday, May 27, 2011

Roasted Pumpkin Sourdough Bread

 
Every week on Tuesday there is a local market in a small village nearby. People from the hill tribes sell their products. It’s nice to see all hill tribe people in their traditional cloths doing their weekly shopping. They don't wear it for tourists, but it’s their daily outfit. We also see the  longneck women at the market. Most of the time, we are the only foreigners at this market. When we first came to this market we were the tourist attraction for them to look at. But, after a while we are all the same; visitors to the local market looking for something good and for a good price. 

Last week we found a nice orange potimarron pumpkin. I looked at the recipe of Roasted Potato Bread made by Susan of Wild Yeast so many times. I thought I could try this recipe with roasted pumpkin. Today I finally did it. 






We found an original banneton and I had no idea the amount of dough to put in. I just experimented, I filled the banneton for ¾ and from the remaining dough I made a small boulle. I placed the dough in the refrigerator for retarded proofing. When I took the dough out of the refrigerator the next morning I was surprised to see the dough was over proofed. I pressed the air out and pre shaped them again. During pre heating of the oven the loaves proofed again. This was the first time this happened. I had used retarded proofing before and this never happened. The dough was always a bit stiff. But no this time.

I am pleased with the result, especially the mushy crumb and the beautiful color of the potimarron. The smell of roasted pumpkin is still present. We ate this loaf with a salad.

This is what I used for 1 medium loaf and 1 small boulle.
Roasted Pumpkin:
300 gr potimarron pumpkin, peeled and cut into slices
Dried herbs of the Provence
Olive oil
Mix of black, green and red pepper and salt


Dough:
425 gr all purpose flour
255 gr water
9 gr salt
150 g mature 100%-hydration sourdough starter
The roasted pumpkin cut into cubes


This is what I did with the pumpkin:
Pre heat the oven to 200 ˚C and place the baking stone. Cut the pumpkin into 2cm thick slices and peel them. Pour some olive oil on parchment paper. Place the pumpkin slices on the parchment and scatter the dried herbs, the pepper and salt over the slices. Roast until the slices are done (check with a fork) and have a nice roasted color. Turn the slices from time to time.  Let the slices cool completely before adding them to the dough.

This is what I did with the dough:
Mix flour, water and starter in the mixing bowl until all ingredients are combined. Cover and let rest (autolyse) for 30 minutes.

Add salt and continue mixing till you reached a low-to-medium level of gluten development. When you take a piece of dough and gently stretch it till you see clear pieces with small lumps of dough.
Add the pumpkin and mix until they are incorporated in the dough. Don’t mix too long, they will not all incorporate. But during the folding most of them will.
Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover and ferment for 2.5 hours. After 50 you fold the dough on the counter or in the bowl. And fold it again after 100 minutes.
Place the dough on a lightly floured counter. I divided the dough in 2 pieces. I filled my new banneton for ¾. The remaining dough I used to make a small boulle. Pre shape the dough into balls, cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
Shape the dough in the final forms. I made one batard and placed this in my new banneton upside down. And the other small boulle I placed right side up in a linen-lined basket.
Proof for 2.5 hours. I placed them for retarded proofing in the refrigerator.

Pre heat the oven, with baking stone and cake form with lava stones and water, to 240˚C. Place the loaves on the wooden peel and transfer them to the baking stone. I had scattered some semolina flour to prevent the dough from sticking.

Bake for 10 minutes with steam, remove the cake form with the lave stones and bake another 20 minutes without steam. Turn the oven off and leave the loaves in the oven for another 10 minutes with the door ajar. Or leave the loaves longer when they need more color.
Cool on a wire rack till they are completely cooled.
I was inspired by Susan of WildYeast 
I send this roasted pumpkin bread to Yeastspotting 

2 comments:

  1. Very yummy looking bread. I love breads with pumpkin in them and your looks like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks fab! I am going to try similar myself :)

    ReplyDelete